Saturday, February 25, 2006

MNR Regulation 97/04

I found out about this through the agenda of the March meeting of the Planning and Transportation Committee. Item 7 is to receive a report from the TRCA concerning MNR Regulation 97/04. This is entitled "Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses". This legislation is an effort by the province to reduce red tape and create a generic rule for all provincial conservation authorities. I skimmed the document and I think it contains some sound planning practices. What I find disturbing is that the city is looking for a way out of a very important point in the regulation. To quote the recommendation on the PLT agenda:

the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority be requested to amend the proposed Regulation of Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses to eliminate the proposed 15 meter buffer in the City of Toronto, and if required, request the Province to amend the Generic Regulation to reflect the same;

I find it rather disturbing that the city would seek to get an exemption on this point. It seems rather shameless to seek a blanket exemption rather than try to work with it on a case by case basis. I will definitely bring this up through the Task Force and hope that they will bend the city's ear on this one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I can not find your contact information to email you, maybe you can help me (this seems like a good place to ask). I am trying to locate specific patches of Rhamnus cathartica in the north/central part of the Don (which you would imagine would be easy to find, but I'm having a fair bit of difficulty). Are you aware of any that you can direct me to?

If you are interested in learning more about the related research I would be happy to fill you in if you leave your email.

Thanks

Donwatcher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Can you direct me to the specific location of any dense patches you are aware of in the north/central part of the Don?

Donwatcher said...

You'll have to be more specific. Are you talking about the east of the west Don? Near what major intersection?

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I'm referring to anywhere along the Don Valley corridor. Locations in the north part of the Don East (i.e. East Don Parklands) would be preferred. However, I’m not too concerned about location. Anywhere where you can think of where there are dense stands will do.

Thanks!

Donwatcher said...

I don't know of any particularly dense stands, although I can ask around. I know a couple of foresters who may know. I would be interested in finding out about your research. Send me an email.