Monday, July 16, 2007

Still Waiting for Path Reopening


View of construction from east side of Don River. This picture is taken from just underneath the DVP offramp to the Eastern Avenue bridge.

We are still waiting for the reopening of the Lower Don Trail. Last I heard was sometime in July. The project manager is on vacation until next week so I won't get an update until then. I visited the site today and the barriers are still up on the path. On the east side of the river is the Don Valley Parkway but there is a narrow verge between the expressway and the river that you can walk on. Gingerly avoid Canada Goose droppings I walked as far north as I could get and took some pictures. As you can see the path still has a temporary wooden railing so it doesn't look good for an early opening. I'll keep you posted about any news.

I blogged about this project in December, 2006 and June, 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update; as I said earlier I doubt strongly that their revised deadline of "July" will be met. This is really too bad because this is a vital link in the bike path system and the construction weather last winter was MUCH better than normal. There is absolutely no excuse for these delays - it was originally supposed to reopen in April! Either they are poor estimators / planners or are not putting sufficient priority onto this project. Either way it's not good.

Anonymous said...

From TRCA 24 July. "Attached is the most recent newsletter for the Lower Don River West Remedial Flood Protection Project. The bridge extension work is almost complete! Although plantings remain to be done this fall, we expect to reopen the bike trail south of Queen Street on August 11, 2007. "