Sunday, May 20, 2007

Rethink... Forest?


Somebody's certainly rethinking this space

On the other side of Bayview Avenue from the Don Valley Brick Works is a small restoration site where Mud Creek enters the Don River. There is a small pond surrounded by shrubs such as Red-osier Dogwood (Cornus stolonifera) and until recently a group of large mature trees which I think were Crack Willow (Salix fragilis). Many Crack Willows were planted in the Don many years ago to stabilize the banks of the river. Until now these trees have achieved this admirably.

Recently as I was exiting the Brick Works I noticed something out of place. Upon closer inspection I noted to my surprise that all of the Willows had been cut down. These trees while non-native are not particularly invasive so there is no reason to cut them down. It seems ironic that these have been chopped just as the Brick Works is to begin a renaissance, courtesy of Evergreen. If anyone knows anything about this, I'd be interested in hearing about it.


Mature trees cut near Bayview


Pond at the end Mud Creek. I've spotted Muskrat living here in past years

No comments: